WHITE OAK TOWNSHIP
INGHAM COUNTY, MICHIGAN
ORDINANCE # 17
AN ORDINANCE TO REGULATE AND PRESCRIBE STANDARDS FOR PERMITTING AND CONSTRUCTION OF PRIVATE DRIVEWAYS; TO ESTABLISH MINIMUM CONSTRUCTION STANDARDS; AND TO PROVIDE AN EFFECTIVE DATE HEREOF.
THE TOWNSHIP OF WHITE OAK, INGHAM COUNTY MICHIGAN ORDAINS:
Section 1. Title. This Ordinance shall be known and cited as the White Oak Township Private Driveway Ordinance.
Section 2. Purpose and Intent. It is the intent and purpose of this Ordinance to provide uniform minimum standards for permitting, location and construction of private driveways serving a dwelling within the Township to protect the health, safety and welfare of persons utilizing said driveways and persons occupying public roadways, and to protect persons served by such driveways, by requiring unobstructed and continuous access to such premises and to public roadways by providing a means of reasonable access by emergency vehicles of various types.
Section 3. Permits for Construction of Driveway. All persons constructing or contracting for the construction of a driveway within White Oak Township shall obtain a driveway permit from the Ingham County Board of Road Commissioners (Ingham County Road Commission) prior to commencement of construction. The term “driveway,” as used in this Ordinance, shall mean that portion of the property utilized to provide a means of ingress and egress to a lot, parcel, or dwelling within the Township to and from a public roadway for use by motor vehicles. “Driveway” shall not include private roadways which provide a means of ingress and egress to more than one lot or parcel or more than one residential structure.
Section 4. Construction Standards. Driveways shall meet or exceed the following construction standards and such other requirements as may be imposed by the Ingham County Road Commission.
- Minimum width to be twelve (12) feet.
- Minimum overhead clearance to be fourteen (14) feet above the driveway grade at all points.
- Driveway location shall avoid wetlands and unstable soils where possible. Construction within such areas shall mitigate or compensate for such conditions and shall meet all requirements imposed by agencies having jurisdiction.
- Adequate drainage structures and materials shall be utilized to meet or exceed requirements of agencies having jurisdiction.
- Driveway surface and subsurface shall require removal of topsoil to a depth of ten (10) inches, backfilled with six (6) inches of sand or bank run gravel; driveway surface shall be topped off with at least six (6) inches of processed road gravel, crushed stone, asphalt, or a combination thereof.
Section 5. Effective Date. This Ordinance shall become effective immediately upon its adoption and publication as required by law.
WHITE OAK TOWNSHIP
By: Original signed by Dorwin Marshall
Dorwin Marshall, Supervisor
By: Original signed by Carole Oesterle
Carole Oesterle, Clerk
I, Carole Oesterle, Clerk of the Township of White Oak, hereby certify that the foregoing Ordinance was adopted on the 9th day of July, 2001 and published on the 24th day of July, 2001.