R-M, HIGHER DENSITY RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT
SECTION 11.1. STATEMENT OF PURPOSE.
The Higher Density Residential District is designed to permit more intensive residential use of land. The R-M District shall provide for two-family residences, multiple family housing and mobile home park developments. The multiple-family district shall abut a major thoroughfare for good accessibility and may be located between single-family residential areas and other non-residential uses. It is intended that various sizes of residential accommodations, for ownership and rental, shall be provided to meet the varied needs of the community.
SECTION 11.2. PRINCIPAL PERMITTED USES.
In the R-M District, no uses shall be permitted, unless otherwise provided in this Ordinance, except the following:
A. All Principal Permitted Uses, except single-family detached dwellings, and Permitted Uses After Special Approval in the RE District subject to the terms and conditions therein.
B. Multiple-family dwellings provided that all such dwellings shall have at least one (1) property line abutting a major thoroughfare. All ingress and egress shall be directly onto said major thoroughfare.
C. Two-family dwellings.
D. Community garages serving the principal residential building(s).
E. Maintenance and management buildings to serve multiple dwellings.
F. Private swimming pools designed and operated as an accessory use only for occupants of the main building or buildings and their personal guests in accordance with Section 4.36.
G. Convalescent and/or nursing home, not to exceed a height of two and one-half (2 ½) stories, when the following conditions are met:
1. All such convalescent or nursing homes shall be developed only on sites consisting of at least five (5) acres in area.
2. The proposed site shall have at least one property line abutting a major thoroughfare. All ingress and egress to the off-street parking area, for guests, employees, staff as well as any other uses of the facilities, shall be directly onto said major thoroughfare.
3. No building shall be closer than forty (40) feet from any property line.
H. Bed-n-Breakfast Inn and/or Tourist Home not to exceed a height of three stories.
I. Accessory buildings and uses customarily incidental to the above Principal Permitted Uses.
J. Off-street parking in accordance with the requirements of Article VI.
K. Residential care facilities as provided in Section 4.47.
SECTION 11.3. PERMITTED USES AFTER SPECIAL APPROVAL.
The following uses shall be permitted subject to the conditions hereinafter imposed and subject further to the review of the Zoning Board and approval of the Township Board based on standards of Section 4.39, parts G1 through G10.
A. Mobile Home Parks, subject to the requirements as established and regulated by Act 243 of the Public Acts of 1959, as amended and subject to the requirements in Article VIII, Schedule of Regulations and to the following:
1. Site Area: The minimum parcel size for a mobile home park shall be twenty (20 acres).
2. Minimum Site Area: The mobile home park shall be developed with sites averaging 7,500 square feet per mobile home unit.
3. Setbacks: Mobile homes shall comply with the following minimum setbacks:
a. Mobile homes and accessory structures in the mobile home park shall be set back fifty (50) feet from any park boundary line including the future right-of-way of any abutting street and highway.
b. Mobile homes and accessory structures shall meet all setback requirements in Article VIII, Schedule of Regulations, for interior park roadways.
4. Roads: Roads shall satisfy the minimum dimensional, design, and constriction requirements as set forth in the Mobile Home Commission Rules.
5. Screening: All mobile home parks shall be screened from existing adjacent residential land use by either a five (5) foot solid ornamental masonry wall or a greenbelt in compliance with Section 4.33
B. Residential care facilities as provided in Section 4.47.
SECTION 11.4. REQUIRED CONDITIONS.
A. Wherever a parking lot for any use permitted in a R-M District is erected such that the headlights of the cars in the parking lot will face into a single-family residence district, a planting strip not less than three (3) feet in height as determined by the Zoning Board shall be required along that parking lot boundary line facing the single-family residence district.
B. For all uses permitted in the R-M District, a site plan shall be submitted to the Zoning Board in accordance with Section 4.38.
1. All site plans shall show two means of ingress and egress to the project to permit adequate circulation for safety equipment, except that for projects under ten (10) acres one (1) boulevard entranceway may be sufficient.
2. In all multiple projects of over 100 dwelling units, parking shall not be allowed along the main circulation drive.
3. All townhouse units must include an individual outdoor paved patio area not less than one hundred (100) square feet in area.
4. There shall be no more than five (5) townhouses in any attached row.
5. An apartment house shall not exceed two hundred (200) feet in length.
6. Townhouse units with attached garages may not include the space in front of the garage door as part of the parking requirement. Townhouse units with attached garages may reduce their parking requirement to one and one-half (1 ½) spaces per dwelling unit.
7. Apartment houses with underground parking or garages, excluding carports, may reduce their parking requirement to one and one-half (1 ½) spaces per dwelling unit.
SECTION 11.5. AREA, HEIGHT, BULK, AND PLACEMENT REQUIREMENTS.
Area, Height, Bulk and Placement Requirements are as provided in Article VIII, "Schedule of Regulations".